Jamestown is located on the Highway 108/49 corridor and is the first town you encounter when entering Tuolumne County from the west. It’s the spot where gold was first discovered in the County. Several of the town’s buildings that date back to the 1870s and 1880s are occupied by quaint historic inns, restaurants, shops and even wine tasting rooms of local vineyards. Take a stroll along the Walk of Fame, a walkway stretching between Rocca Park, downtown, and Railtown 1897 State Historic Park that’s dotted with artistic medallions featuring many of the movies and TV shows filmed in the local area.
Some things to do in Jamestown
1. Taste the varietals of Tuolumne County in 2 boutique tasting rooms.
2. Dine and stay the night in a historic inn.
3. Ride the rails with the “movie star locomotive,” the Sierra #3™ to a bygone era and take a tour of one of the few remaining working railroad roundhouses in America at Railtown 1897 State Historic Park.
4. Stroll along the Walk of Fame.
5. Hike the fantastic trails at Red Hills Recreation Management Area and the Table Mountain Trail in the New Melones Lake Area for seasonal wildflower displays and phenomenal vistas.