Jamestown is located on the Highway 108/49 corridor and is the first town you encounter when entering Tuolumne County from the west. It’s the spot where gold was first discovered in the County. Several of the town’s buildings that date back to the 1870s and 1880s are occupied by quaint historic inns, restaurants, shops, a cigar bar, micro brewery, and even wine tasting rooms of local vineyards. Jamestown is home to one of Tuolumne County's two California State Parks, Railtown 1897 State Historic Park.
Don't miss these great Jamestown activities:
1. Dine and stay the night in a historic inn.
2. Ride the rails through the country side on a historic train, see the “movie star locomotive,” the Sierra No. 3®, and take a tour of one of the few remaining working railroad roundhouses in America at Railtown 1897 State Historic Park.
3. Stroll along the Walk of Fame, a walkway stretching between Rocca Park, downtown, and Railtown 1897 State Historic Park that’s dotted with artistic medallions featuring many of the movies and TV shows filmed in the local area.
4. Taste the local libations of the Sierra foothills or a locally-crafted brew.
5. Take a chance at winning cold hard cash at Chicken Ranch Casino featuring Bingo, slots, and card tables.
6. Get a little dirty and take a chance on striking it rich panning for gold.
7. Shop an afternoon away at galleries and unique boutiques and stores.
Read more about these activities here.