Over half of Yosemite National Park is in Tuolumne County--it’s the least crowded half too.
Highway 120 through Tuolumne County is the most direct route into Yosemite National Park from the San Francisco Bay Area, Sacramento and all of Northern California.
1. Purchase your Park Pass online ahead of time to save time at the gate.
2. 95% of visitors see 5% of Yosemite; explore the less visited and uncrowded areas outside the Valley Floor – like Hetch Hetchy and the Tuolumne Grove of Giant Sequoias.
3. Go early in the morning (avoid park entrance traffic between 10am and 12pm).
4. Visit the park October through April when it is much less crowded, and you’ll get the best of fall colors and beautiful winter scenes.
5. In the busy summer months, take alternate transportation like YARTS (Yosemite Area Regional Transportation System) or utilize a specialized tour provider.